Ms Valerie Glauser, LMFT, Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist
While I help clients with many types of problems, I have the most experience with those who are coping with depression, anxiety, or mood swings; and those who are struggling with grief or trauma, including sexual abuse.
Who are you right now?
I want to know not just the reason why you are seeking help, but also what is important to you. What are your values, goals, strengths? What is your family and cultural background? What are the sources of your suffering right now?
After I learn these things about you, I can better help you reach your goals. For example:
- Anger management and communication skills building
- Increasing genuine intimacy with your partner.
- Letting go of resentments
- Building on your innate strengths to empower you toward your goals.
I am trained to use a powerful tool called EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) which is documented to provide significant relief from troubling and painful symptoms resulting from traumatic experiences. Here is the link to the EMDR site.
I also work well with people in recovery from various addictions, including substances, gambling, and other compulsions that people find too difficult to manage or stop on their own. Importantly I also work with their families, whether or not the addict has chosen to seek help, because when one person becomes addicted, the whole family gets sick.
I do relationship counseling with couples (married or not, LGBTQ), including pre-marital and sex therapy.
I can help adults and children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD or ADD) to provide support for parents, as well as behavior management skills for the person struggling to succeed in life with this diagnosis.
I also enjoy doing family therapy with members of all ages. Intergenerational family therapy can be a powerful tool for healing generations of trauma and conflict.
Finally, where and when appropriate, I work closely with our staff psychiatrists (as well as your own, where indicated) to ensure an optimal outcome.
- Baccalaureate of Arts - University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri
- Master's Degree in Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) - Hahnemann University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Internships focused on recovering addicts and their families.
- Marriage and family therapist in Southampton, Pennsylvania group practice.
- Clinical Team Leader at NorthEast Treatment Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Supervising "wraparound" (in-home and school-based behavioral therapy) services for children.
- Mobile Therapist in Wrap-Around Services for NorthEast Treatment Centers, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Outpatient Therapist at Children, Youth and Family Services for NorthEast Treatment Centers, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Adolescent Therapist for Wordsworth Academy Residential Treatment Facility, Fort Washington, Pennsylvania.
- Therapist for women's residential drug and alcohol treatment program for Genesis II/Second Beginning, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- In addition, Valerie has years of experience in the business and academic world as a technical writer, marketing manager, communications consultant, executive recruiter, and business writer.
- Marriage and Family Therapist, licensed in Pennsylvania, License #MF000491