Ms Kathryn E Dobbs, LPC, Licensed Professional Counselor and Pastoral Counselor
I love consulting with my clients, connecting with them and sharing with them, in ways that can help them find resolution to the emotional and spiritual issues that trouble them. In my long career in finance (accountant, financial adviser, and auditor), I learned that if people will talk with me about their finances, they will talk with me about almost anything. Doing that work, I learned the importance of listening, and became inspired to pursue a Masters in Pastoral Counseling, and my second career as a psychotherapist. My office hours are in the evenings, after my day job and perhaps, after yours.
While pastoral counseling (or "Christian Counseling") is my specialty, I can work with people with or without a religious belief system. Whatever the tenets of your faith, or lack of faith, I can integrate that, where appropriate, into the counseling process. Pastoral care is about working with your belief system, not about preaching at you!
I especially love working with couples, and have a good deal of training in the approaches of John Gottman, Gary Chapman and Brent Atkinson. I also have a good deal of experience working with anxiety, depression, grief, and loss, including loss of employment. I can also help people make decisions about changing career goals.
Education and Training:
- Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA
Graduated in 1994 Master of Business Administration Majored in Accounting and International Business Graduated in 1989 Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration
- Pennsylvania License in Home and School Visitor
Graduated in 2008 Masters in Pastoral Care and Counseling Pastoral Counseling
- As well as many professional seminars in various aspects of therapy, including EMDR (Levels 1 and 2), for treatment of trauma.
- Before joining the staff of Psych Choices, I worked for 9 years at Life Counseling in Havertown, PA.
- I also worked as a Pastoral Care Intern for five years at St. Francis Hospital in Wilmington, DE.